What is insomnia?
Too little sleep or troubled sleep may result into insomnia in which you may not feel like sleeping. There may be any reason out of the following;
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Getting up too early in the morning
- Waking up a lot during the night
- Lack of refreshed feeling even if taken proper sleep of 8-9 hours
Insomnia can lead excessive sleepiness during day time, fatigue and troubled concentration. It increases the irritability and makes you feel depressed.
Insomnia is more likely to appear in women than men, is that true?
Yes! It is true. Women bear double probability of suffering from insomnia as compared to men. Social differences, unemployment, excessive responsibilities, and isolation may be few of the reasons that increase the risks of insomnia in women. It has been found that insomnia in women tends to increase with the age.
What is reason of troubled sleeping in teens?
Teenagers need little more than 8 hours of sleep. Sometimes, teenagers may find difficulty in sleeping too early. They may sleep late but find it hard to get up early in the morning. During adolescence, the body's circadian is reset that makes a teen to fall asleep later at night and wake up later in the morning. The reason for this change may be credited to the brain hormone melatonin which is produced later at night in teens than it is for kids and adults. This makes it difficult for teens to sleep early or properly. However, it is not necessary that every teenager will suffer from this problem.
What is obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a disorder in which a person stops breathing temporarily while sleeping. It may happen because of enlarged tonsils or adenoids. Overweight or obesity can also be one of the reasons of obstructive sleep apnea. One who has the disorder may have difficulty in breathing while sleeping. He may have heavy sweating or may snore a lot. As the sleep is disturbed so he may feel very sleepy at workplace or day time.
Give me some tips to sleep well.
- Fix your sleeping and waking timings and try to follow them everyday.
- Avoid taking naps after 3 p.m.
- Don’t take tea, coffee, nicotine, and alcohol before sleeping.
- Exercise regularly. It gives a sound sleep. But avoid doing exercise 3- 4 hours before going to bed.
- Have your meals at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.
- Have a dark, quiet and cool bedroom.
- Read some book or listen to light music before sleeping.
- Have bath before sleeping.
- If you are not able sleep within 20 minutes then get up and do something that doesn't involves any activity.
- Use your bed only for sleep and sex. Don't make it a workplace or place for indoor games